If you're like me, you've not only asked the question Ben addresses in his post about God's role in 9/11, but you've probably wondered why there hasn't been a successful terrorist attack on American soil since.

I thank the Lord for peace in our homeland these last five years. He has been merciful to restrain the evil of a terrorist attack, at least for a time. And I understand that the Lord has used means to accomplish this -- just as Martin Luther explains that He provides for our physical needs with daily bread through means of the farmer and the baker.

Some of the more tangible means of protection can be found in Peter Kirsanow's National Review Online article, The Real Jack Bauers, highlighting military action in Afghanistan and Iraq, and heightened security and surveillance, etc. -- along with "less discernable" reasons:

President Bush indicated that many of the victories against terrorists would be hidden from view; they will never be recorded in history. Many of these victories have been won by the military’s elite units — special-forces/counterterrorism units and others that the media knows little, if anything about. Indeed, Kiefer Sutherland got more coverage in five minutes at the Emmys than all of the Rangers, Green Berets, Marine Force Recon, SEALs / DevGru, and Delta operators combined.

He ends:

While it may be apocryphal, Winston Churchill is often quoted as having said (supposedly paraphrasing Orwell) “We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.” We owe it to these gentlemen not to take for granted the undisturbed sleep we’ve enjoyed the last five years. Without them we might not have been so fortunate.

My old pastor incorporated prayer for soldiers, firemen, policeman, and doctors specifically in every corporate worship service. His habit for praying for these individuals is a good reminder that God alone is our protector by preserving our lives through the means of "rough men."