Your Mission Statement

Your Mission Statement

Rate This
  • Comments 11

I never was inclined to write up a personal mission statement or philosophy of life; I knew some people find it helpful, but for some reason, I never thought I would. A few years ago, though, a friend invited me to join a group of writers and artists she knew in writing self-profiles for her blog. Among other things, she asked me to say a few words about my philosophy of art and life.

So I did. Here's what I came up with:

Speak the truths that need to be spoken. The challenge is in discerning what those truths are and how to speak them. But don’t shrink from the challenge: Ask God for the fortitude and the wisdom to take it on.

As it turned out, this process was a lot more helpful than I thought it would be. The words stuck in my head and helped me focus. Most of all, they applied general biblical principles to my specific calling as a writer.

So I'll invite you to try the same exercise. Got a personal mission statement or a philosophy of life to share? Here's your chance.

Social Media

Share this

You must be logged in to comment.

Sign In or Join now.

• Comment by  jayme:

We had to do this for church a year ago.  I came up with this: "To love Jesus and to help others do the same?."

• Comment by  Kelly1:

I don't have a mission statement per se, but I do have a very strong 'philosophy of life'.  And that is:

Find joy in every moment, because all of this is fleeting.

(Guess I should have God in there somewhere, huh?)

• Comment by  Linae:

To know Christ and make Him known.

• Comment by  Heather:

As a high school teacher and coach, I like to pray this prayer: "Lord, lead me to meaningful conversations with those who are spiritually hungry." I think it speaks to my mission statement of being a light for Christ at school. Ideally, kids will notice the differences about my life, and someday they will ask me about it! Really, they already do ask me. I hope it can go deeper with some of them.

• Comment by  kaj:

I, too, don't have a mission statement, but once when I was painting a mural for a community service project, this philosophical insight hit me:

"Whatever I touch is no longer the same."

• Comment by  SarahJane:

I came up with this a few years ago - came from the heart - but still working it out practically...

Seek truth

Live truth

Teach truth

• Comment by  Chris:

"Mission statements" are, IMHO, things written to make you feel like you're doing something. Remember, every minute spent writing a mission statement is a minute NOT spent accomplishing something.

• Comment by  AliceSmall:

Love God with all your heart and love your neighbor as yourself.

Anything else is just a bunch of man made rules.

Jesus has no part time disciples:

www.huffingtonpost.com/.../matthew-16-on-scripture_b_934374.html

• Comment by  Corwin:

Love God. Love Others.

• Comment by  SarahAnn:

I've actually just been thinking about this as an actress. What do I think God is calling me to do with the gifts he's given me as an actress? Don't have a personal philosophy or mission statement yet, but I want to work on it. I think it would definitely help guide my choices in the future.

• Comment by  SarahP:

My mission is to speak, write, and demonstrate beauty, goodness, and truth to a dark and dying world, and to help build organizations that do the same.

24/7 Footer Ad