Proposals and Pinterest

Proposals and Pinterest

Rate This
  • Comments 8

You guys! Not only is today the first day of spring, but it is also National Proposal Day! Get your ring fingers ready for some bling!

A guy named John Michael O'Loughlin invented the holiday after he said his cousin was strung along by her boyfriend for too many years. It's supposed to be a nudge in the right direction for couples who might be thinking about marriage. ProposalDay.com says the holiday is meant to be fun and light-hearted — for example, the site provides you with information on the world's most eligible bachelors (Prince Harry and Justin Beiber) and bachelorettes (Jennifer Lawrence and Pippa Middleton). But overall, the goal is to help get people thinking about commitment. (So far, I've not seen any engagement photos on my Facebook newsfeed, but the day is not yet over.)

In anticipation of National Proposal Day, David's Bridal published a press release about how weddings and wedding planning have changed in the digital age. If your guy pops the question today, you might not send out a fancy, monogrammed invitation, but a video invite. Instagram hashtags allow friends and family to post filtered pictures of the big day. Pinterest has revolutionized the entire wedding-planning process. People can create boards with all their favorite looks and ideas — from dresses to favors. (Let's not kid, ladies. We all have wedding boards on Pinterest. Mine is called "Someday," and it's pretty cute.)

Weddings can even be broadcast live nowadays. So not only do we get to see The Bachelor Sean and WhatsHerName get married on television, but you and I can broadcast to our family and friends around the world. My mom just went to a wedding in her small Minnesota town that had an audience in Fiji watching, because that is where the groom was originally from.

Overall, I think social media could be great for wedding planning. It is an easy way to keep track of your plans, let people know what's going on, and include far-away loved ones in all your special moments. But, like anything, social media can also become a way to brag or become self-absorbed with the wedding process. (Yes, we know through your 75 Facebook status updates each day that you're marrying the most wonderful man in the world, and your DIY, handmade, ring-bearer pillow contains a special inscription. Also, your picture of your golden retriever dressed in a tux as the best man is a bit much. We got it.)

And since I just saw that the average price of a wedding has gone up to $28,000 (!!!), the sheer amount of choices that Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter can present you with in your wedding planning probably doesn't help with narrowing things down for a simple, cheap wedding that is more focused on the marriage than the party. 

But, I digress. How do you think social media can be helpful or harmful in the wedding planning process? (And, did anyone get proposed to today?)

Social Media

Share this

You must be logged in to comment.

Sign In or Join now.

• I got a proposal today...three years ago. And we had never heard of National Proposal Day. But it was a beautiful day three years ago when my man asked me to be his wife. I have never regretted saying yes for a moment. Marriage is a wonderful thing.

• hehe. awww. ^-^ Lindsay, that is super sweet! That being said, I always think it's a little weird when my single friends start popping up wedding dresses on my twitter feed. :P One of my friends went through a terrible engagement and breakup before she met and married her husband. They had planned a lot of the wedding while they were dating and even recieved some registry gifts before things broke off for real -- as a result, when she was dating her husband, she refused to even look at wedding planing until they were engaged. I thought that decision was kind of wise, because I think you get get really emotionally invested in the idea of a wedding and how perfect/beautiful/shamazing it will all be and get your focus on "getting married" rather than growing your relationship.

Also, a lot of the "wedding websites" out there are targeted toward that "perfect wedding" experience, which I think is kind of overrated. Our wedding was perfect not because we spend $28,000 (o.O;;; Or close to that. That's a LOT of money) but because it reflected the "us" ness of us. :) We had all the people there who loved and cared about us, we had a groom cake shaped like a lego :P We kept it small enough that we were able to talk to and connect with everyone and we didn't go crazy trying to decorate the inside of the chapel like something out of a chick flick. I think something that gets lost in all the tulle and floral of the wedding industry is that -- the wedding isn't about Hollywood or Kleinfelds or perfection or out-doing that other couple that got married last summer -- it's about YOU. It's about how you're going to pledge your lives to each other for ever and never give up.

I think if people put the kind of interest into growing their relationships that they put into growing their pinboards everyone would be a lot better off :/

• I've been engaged for a few monts and have recently been cajoled (by futre cousins-in-law) into starting a Pinterest. Personally, I'm not excited about FB and make a strong effort to only say wedding stuff every 2-3 weeks, because we all know how annoying it can be when a friend boasts too much.

I find wedding blogs to be VERY helpful for coming up with ideas. I'm not a creative type so I basiccally have to copy other's brilliance. But sometimes it is distracting to have SO many ideas about things I should make or things I need to have. You have to make sure you have your head straight or you find yourself thinking that your wedding won't be good enough if you don't stress more, do more.

I'm still not sure what to make about pinterest . . . (or having a public pinterest page). I don't like having TOO many people weigh in on my wedding plans because they make free to tell me that they don't like my colors, my flowers, the cakes, or the fact that I'm getting married at my church and they will have to drive 2 hours. (And yes I've been told all of those things by his family,)

• I first learned about Pinterest when I was planning my wedding a year ago. It was fun and helpful in some respects,but I feel like it became a major time-sucker. I can't believe how much time (on Pinterest and in craft stores) I spent figuring out to decorate DIY luminaries. It was a minor detail in the wedding, and I wasted a lot of time obsessing about a decoration that most people (including me) probably don't remember from the big day. My advice would be, have fun on Pinterest and with planning, but don't overthink things and sweat the small stuff. Most of it your guests won't remember anyway :-). Save your energy for what's really important!

• For me, social media would be helpful with wedding planning. I'd want to use Facebook to communicate with friends and family about wedding plans and want to create an event invite. I like doing Google searches to find what I need, so I wouldn't use Pinterest to help with wedding plans.

• Recently I've been convicted about how I spend my money, and I'm leaning toward having a very "bare-bones" kind of wedding. I want to eat together with my guests and wear a white dress with a veil--there is lot of Christian symbolism in those things that I think is nice to maintain--but other than that, I don't think I need decorations or flowers or a professional cake or whatever. Just getting married in my little old neighborhood church with my church family and biological family as witnesses would be great. Also the church building is such that trying to dress it up with tulle or lace or flowers would just end up looking tacky :P Pinterest weddings are gorgeous and lovely, but do they really have lasting value?

• I am planning a wedding for June. And Pinterest has been a part of that planning. It can be a big time-sucker as well... It works better when I'm looking for something specific rather than just scanning through the "wedding" pins.

• 28,000! I would have said 5-6,000 tops. During the 1800's  Didn't they used to have simple weddings at home and the bride would simply wear her best dress?

24/7 Footer Ad