The Boundless blog is a collection of unique voices addressing the issues young adults care about right now – everything from dating and faith to current events.
Andrew’s recent post “14 Bible Passages Every Single Should Memorize” got me thinking about something one of my mentors impressed upon me: the value of praying the Scriptures. So one thing I’ve tried to prioritize in relationships is to pray specific Scriptures for the person I’m dating. It’s easy to over-think dating and make it more complicated than it needs to be, but the awesome thing about Scripture is it’s always true and you can’t mess it up! Kind of like going back to the basics.
So here are 10 of my favorite verses to pray for your significant other, either the one you have or the one you’re hoping to have soon!
1. "That their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, to reach all the riches of full assurance of understanding and the knowledge of God's mystery, which is Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge" (Colossians 2:2-3).
2. "Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established" (Proverbs 16:3).
3. "Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ..." (Philippians 1:27).
4. "That you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God" (Ephesians 3:17-19).
5. "But as for you, O man of God, flee these things. Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness" (1 Timothy 6:11).
6. "Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live, loving the Lord your God, obeying his voice and holding fast to him, for he is your life and length of days" (Deuteronomy 30:19-20).
7. "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer" (Psalm 19:14).
8. "Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert" (Isaiah 43:18-19).
9. "Bear fruit in keeping with repentance" (Matthew 3:8).
10. "Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works..." (Hebrews 10: 23-14).
Praying the Scriptures is a great discipline to start for the new year. I like to dedicate a week to praying the same verse for a specific person in my life. It could be a significant other, but it can also be applied to friends or family members. I’m amazed that whenever I tell people I’ve been praying one of these verses for them, there’s usually some sort of direct application in their life that I wasn’t even aware of.
Do you pray through Scripture? What verses would you add to the list?
You must be logged in to comment.
Sign In or
--Thanks for that list...I'll be using it frequently!
--Loving this articles with verses :) the beginning of the year is a great time to reflect on verses and see what the Lord is saying will be once focus verse for the year. Thank you.
--i really like this! i think its great even as a single to pray these verses about your future husband/wife! thanks!
made with ♥ by Boundless