My Boys and My Razorbacks

Dad Matters

Dad Matters was started to encourage every dad, step-dad and father figure on his journey, no matter his age or stage or life situation.

My Boys and My Razorbacks

Rate This
  • Comments 1

Woooo Pig Soooieeee!!! You might not know what you’re reading, but this is what 75,000 people in Razorback Stadium do on a Saturday afternoon in Fayetteville, Arkansas. We Call the Hogs! We all raise our hands, pump our fists, and scream our love for the Razorbacks. I know, it sounds silly and foolish, but this is all I’ve ever known as a lifelong fan. And, I think it’s pretty cool. I grew up watching the Hogs (another word for Razorbacks) with my dad; both in person and on TV. Some of my best memories growing up involved football and basketball games. I’ve experienced the thrill of a huge victory and the crushing blow of defeat. There have been great years and very lean years, which is what we’re in right now. Good or bad, though, I’m sticking with them.  They’re my team and will be as long as I’m breathing.

Now that I’m raising two little boys (currently 5 and 4), you better believe that they know how to Call the Hogs and have more Razorback gear than is probably necessary. We moved to Colorado about a year ago, but before the move, we attended some games. I was able to teach them the things that mark a true Razorback fan; and see that first spark of interest and even passion ignite as we watched.

I’m relegated now to watching games on TV, when I can get them, and it’s been a lot of fun putting on our gear on game days, buying our favorite snacks and sharing this time together. At this age, they don’t totally know what’s going on, but they know who we’re cheering for and who we want to score. They celebrate the touchdowns with me, and they’re sad with me when we lose.

I’m so thankful to have the opportunity to create these memories with my boys just as I did with my dad. Those times meant so much to me, and I love carrying on this tradition. So, whatever activity, sport or hobby interests you, I hope you’re able to share that with your kids. If you don’t have one, I encourage you to find one and start a new tradition. Have fun…and Go Hogs!

What activites, sport or hobby do you enjoy sharing with your kids? We'd love to hear some of your favorite memories and traditions from your childhood or time spent with your children. 

See Comments Join or Sign In to Comment

Share this

You must be logged in to comment.

Sign In or Join now.

Comments
  • Go HOGS!!

Have you ever felt addicted to watching the games, and has it ever created division with your wife?