It's Not About the Chips

Dad Matters

Dad Matters was started to encourage every dad, step-dad and father figure on his journey, no matter his age or stage or life situation.

It's Not About the Chips

Rate This
  • Comments 11

There’s great anticipation for the Super Bowl – and for those who don’t have a connection to either team, there’s great anticipation for the commercials.

In recent years, Doritos has been topping the list of commercials to see, and this year is no exception. They’ll have several in the mix, and we caught a preview of one of them: “Fashionista Daddy.”

Go ahead, take a look.

Yes, we men bristle when we’re portrayed as goofs – like we’d do anything for food, anything – but let’s give this dad props for at least three commitments he’s made with his family that are reflected here:

He’s there. So glad to see a father in this picture. He’s not distant, not disinterested. He’s walking down the hall, checking in on his little one, sure to say “hello” as he’s on his way to watch the game with the guys in the other room.

He’s aware. This father knows where his precious daughter is and what she’s doing, enjoying life in her little girl dress-up world. And he recognizes that this is one of those moments when she needs some daddy–daughter time; doing what she wants, not necessarily what he wants or planned.

He shows that he cares. Dad didn’t do it for the chips … he could have had a truckload of chips brought in for the big game. He did it to show his little girl just how much he cares. (His buds didn’t do it for the chips, either; a man needs to hang with other men – but that’s another blog!) What do you think is going on in this little girl’s heart as Dad and his Band of Mighty Men dance around her room?

It’s days like these when we have an opportunity to live out our faith – loving, not exasperating our kids (Ephesians 6:4). It’s days like these when our kids, who have heard the words, get to see the actions. It’s times like these when they know in their heart of hearts that their daddy loves them.

There’s a sign hanging over the door of my den where I’m writing this blog. It says, “A Father Is His Daughter’s First Love – Lovin’ you lots & lots dad! – Your Girls.”

It’s days like the one depicted in this commercial – and commitments like ones this dad demonstrated – that pay such great dividends down the road. Dividends like kids who know their father and the Father love them, and girls who let daddy know just how much he’s loved as well.

Dean and his wife, Kim, have three daughters and a son. He is manager of Church & Community Care at Focus on the Family. 

Follow us on Twitter @DadMattersBlog

Share this

You must be logged in to comment.

Sign In or Join now.

Comments
  • Fatherless is an epidemic in our society, especially where I live.  So often, however, we approach the issue from only one angle: recognizing all that has gone wrong in our communities an pinpointing the issue.  The atmosphere of such a conversation tends to be completely negative because it's foundation is one of regret.

I love what you've done here and I see this type of alternative angle as one that is greatly needed:  the revelation of good fatherhood.  Blogs like these transform culture by motivating individuals to anticipate the joy that comes with doing things right.  I believe that this is far more productive than guilting people for what they've done wrong.  

Think about it.  What will be more motivating to a 12 year old boy who lives in a neighborhood with few fathers?  Will it be describing to him all the ills of society and pinpointing the problem on fatherlessness (though that may be true)?  Is the alternative, expressing to him the joy he should anticipate when it's his turn to be a dad, better?

Thanks for writing this.  Great observations!

Danny

• One day when our Andrea was a little girl,  Tammy and I spent some time explaining to Andrea... Daddy is already married, we love each other like only a Daddy and Daugther can, it doesn't mean we'll get married when your older sweatheart.  Now that's a good day to be "The Dad."

• yes. what a fun and encouraging clip to have in the super bowl!

• I have to disagree with some of this blog.  Yes, the dad was there, and yes his daughter was there.  But the commercial makes the point that he WAS doing it for the chips - not because he wanted to spend quality time with his daughter.  And while I certainly agree he should spend quality time with his daughter, and even doing some girlish things, I don't think dressing up like a drag queen should be included.  Why?  Because that's not what men are supposed to do,  See Deuteronomy 22:5 (NIV):

[5] A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this.

I understand there are some gray areas on what male/female clothing is, but this guy and his buddies were not in the gray area.

• I think the Deuteronomy verse refers to the regular or public practice of it, not necessarily when playing with your daughter.  But I certainly wouldn't have gone as far as the guys in the commercial :)

• Wow, God certainly sounds a bit thin-skinned to be so fixated on what people wear.  

At least, according to Anonymous 2:43.  

• Where can I get this sign?

• Does anyone know where this sign is sold?

• I'll see if I can find out where my daughters picked up the sign!

• Here's where you can find the sign: http://ow.ly/hWpIG . . . Thank you for asking!

• Appreciate all the feedback! Keep reading the Dad Matters blog!