The Covenant of Love

Dad Matters

Dad Matters was started to encourage every dad, step-dad and father figure on his journey, no matter his age or stage or life situation.

The Covenant of Love

Rate This
  • Comments 1

On October 28, 1995 I stood in front of family and friends and said, “I do” to my wife, Karen.

A few months later for her birthday I wrote her a poem entitled, “The Covenant of Love.”  I want to share that with you.

The Covenant of Love

A commitment of faith is what I make to you.
This faith will be shown by what I do.
The life I live, will no longer be mine.
Together we’ll share the love of a lifetime.

A promise of hope is what we’ll share.
For our future is held by a God who cares.
Our hope is not based on our own ability.
But on Christ alone who is our stability.

A covenant of love is what I make to you.
Giving myself to what Christ holds true.
I give a love that Christ first gave to me.
So you can become all that God intends you to be.

This covenant of love is the greatest of these.
So take my hand and walk this path with me.
Hand in Hand and Heart to Heart.
What God has bound together, no man can tear apart.

Karen - Our 18 years of marriage have been anything but a joy ride, as if a "joy ride" was the outcome of marriage.  At times the valleys seem to occur more than the mountaintop experiences.  The truth of this poem is that we have held each other’s hands through it all.  Thanks for loving me and helping me become the man God has called me to be.  Thanks for being a great wife and mom.  I hope I am living up to my promise of loving you in such a way that you are becoming the woman God is calling you to be.  Proverbs 31:28-29, “Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:  “Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.””

Men – In scripture we are told to love our wives as Christ loved the church. (Ephesians 5:25-33).  I am still grasping and wrestling with this profound mystery.  For many men, once we say “I do” we feel the conquering is over (winning over her heart).  The truth is, the battle has just begun.  There are many battles yet to be fought for the hearts of our wives, our families and our children.  Keep “storming those beaches” for the hearts of our spouses.  To risk it all, as Christ did, is not just wishful thinking …it should be the demand we place on our own hearts. 

Marriage just isn’t something we do when we are in love.  It is a vow.  It is a lifelong commitment.  It is a covenant.  It is worth fighting for and dying for.  

Happy Anniversary, Karen.  I love doing life with you.

Roy Baldwin
(@baldwin_roy) is a contributor for Dad Matters and the Director of Parenting & Youth at Focus on the Family.

Follow us on Twitter @DadMattersBlog

Share this

You must be logged in to comment.

Sign In or Join now.

Comments
  • --Good stuff Roy! Thanks for sharing.