Movie Monday: Frozen Ices its Competition

Movie Monday: Frozen Ices its Competition

• Comments 4

The weather outside was indeed frightful across much of the country this weekend. Temperatures plunged, the winds howled and, if you lived on the east coast or the Midwest or even here in Colorado, you were on the hunt for an extra pair of wool socks.

Appropriate, then, that the box office looked a bit Frozen, as well.

In its seventh week of release, Disney's frosty princess fable climbed once again to the top of the icy heap, earning a cool $20.7 million and chilling out with a second box office crown. (Its first came in mid-December, when moviegoers were eagerly anticipating the arrival of a certain Hobbit.) Moreover, Hollywood's accountants keep adding Frozen's cold, hard cash to its 2013 earnings. With nearly $300 million in the bank, Frozen's now the fourth biggest movie of the past year, and it's not done yet.

Frozen's frigid dominance cooled the heels of the weekend's only newcomer. Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones, managed to mark just $18.2 million. That's the worst showing for a Paranormal Activity movie since the first back in 2009. Possession just isn't as lucrative as it used to be, I guess.

After three weeks at the top of the box office, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug tumbled off its Lonely Mountain and to a $16.3 million, third-place weekend. It's been a nice run, but no one knows better than Bilbo Baggins that all adventures must come to an end someday.

Two Oscar hopefuls, The Wolf of Wall Street and American Hustle, duked it out for fourth place. Early returns have Wall Street dancing ahead of Hustle, $13.4 million to $13.2 million. But stay tuned: The Hustle could potentially have a step or two left to do.

Final figures update: 1. Frozen, $19.6 million; 2. Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones, $18.3 million; 3. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, $15.7 million; 4. The Wolf of Wall Street, $13.2 million; 5. American Hustle, $12.4 million.

See Comments                  Create Your Personal Profile Today!

Share this

You must be logged in to comment.

Sign In or Join now.

Comments
  • --YES!!!! Go Frozen!!!

• --I can't say enough good things about Frozen!! I LOVED it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was so wholesome and truthful, and heart wrenching and heart warming, and three million other good things! ;)

• --I read an interesting opinion piece on "Frozen" over at the "Season One Episode One" blog (it normally covers anime shows, reviewing the first episode of each, thus the name.)   It talks about subverting the usual Disney princess narrative, and an explanation for Hans' behavior.

• --I can't think of anything I don't like about frozen, and I've seen it 4 times, it's just, beautiful. Well done disney well done